Medical Practice & Policy
This program offers you unique and valuable hands-on medical experiences different from any course offered at American universities such as clinical lab exercises, as well as insight into clinical practices and health provision in Europe.
- Learn from medical doctors at Copenhagen University hospitals, and gain an insider view of the workings of hospitals and clinics, and the daily practice of physicians
- Try your hand at recording patient history and clinical cases as part of the experiential learning element of the core course
- Perform physical examinations and procedures on medical phantoms, such as blood drawing, I.V. entry, and suturing
- Compare and contrast health care and medical practice in newly reformed versus welfare state systems by visiting hospitals, clinics, and research institutions on study tours in Denmark and cities in Western and Eastern Europe
PROGRAM STUDENT PROFILE
This program is right for you if you have an interest in medicine and science and are considering pursing a graduate degree in the health professions. You will gain insight into the field of medicine through the faculty, who are Danish medical practitioners, and classes at a local university hospital.
CORE COURSE OVERVIEW
>> Human Health and Disease: A Clinical Approach
In this course, taught on site at a university hospital, you will focus on the most important human diseases, their diagnoses and treatments, and clinical working methods of Danish physicians as practiced in the Danish medical system.
- Credits: 3
- Prerequisites: One year of biology and one year of chemistry at university level.
- Week-Long Study Tour: Preference of Berlin-Poznan | Stockholm-Tallinn | Budapest-Vienna | Vienna-Bratislava
- Core Course Week: A three-day study tour in Denmark alongside a two-day seminar in Copenhagen.
- Additional Course Specifics: Please be aware that this course does not provide regular medical training corresponding to that of medical students and does not include shadowing of doctors or physical examination of patients.
BUILD YOUR OWN CURRICULUM
DIS has over 160 elective courses for you to build your curriculum from after choosing your required core course. You have to opportunity to focus on your major or diversify by selecting any combination of core courses based on your needs. Click here for electives related to Pre-Medicine, Public Health, Biotechnology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.