Justice & Human Rights
Enhance your knowledge of international law and human rights by analyzing the legal aspects and political context behind major modern conflicts and human rights violations in Europe.
- Your core class faculty have first-hand experience from the recent international conflicts bringing a professional perspective to the classroom on how law affects military planning and execution of operations
- Travel with your classmates and DIS faculty on course-integrated study tours where you will come face to face with current political tensions and issues of national identity in the aftermath of recent conflict and civil war
- Build analytical skills focused around legal thinking and acquire tools to understand how legal methods can be applied in real-life examples using Danish and international case studies
PROGRAM STUDENT PROFILE
The program is right for you if you study political science, international relations, government, human rights, pre-law, or global studies. The real world experience you will gain in this course is highly valuable for students interested in applying to law school.
CORE COURSE OVERVIEW
>> Humanitarian Law and Armed Conflict
Examine human rights and the laws of armed conflict, and how they apply to contemporary conflicts. Analyze current events such as piracy off the coast of Somalia, the killing of Osama Bin Laden, and recent European armed conflicts in a legal context. Develop an understanding of the legal aspects regulating modern conflicts and how they interact with the political environment.
- Credits: 3
- Prerequisites: A course in international relations or human rights at university level.
- Week-Long Study Tour: Preference of Kosovo (fall) | Bosnia (spring)
- Core Course Week: A three-day study tour in Western Denmark alongside a two-day seminar in Copenhagen.
BUILD YOUR OWN CURRICULUM
DIS has over 200 elective courses for you to build your curriculum from after choosing your required core course. You have to opportunity to focus on your major or diversify by selecting any combination of courses based on your needs. Click here for electives related to international relations, legal studies,political science, and more.