Gender & Sexuality Studies
This program introduces you to core topics within gender and sexuality studies in the context of Scandinavia and Europe, well-known for gender equality, queer activism, and liberal policies.
- Travel with your classmates and DIS faculty on study tour to flamboyant Berlin, queer capital of Europe, to understand how LGBTQ rights and forms of activism have evolved
- Field studies and panels with young Danes give you an intimate look into European gender and sexuality and invite you to reflect on your own norms and values
- A scavenger hunt exploring gendered spaces and desired sexualities in Copenhagen through heteronormative and queer lenses
PROGRAM STUDENT PROFILE
This program is right for you if you study gender studies, queer theory, women’s studies, anthropology, sociology, or human rights.
CORE COURSE OVERVIEW
>> LGBTQ in Europe
This course explores the circumstances and consequences of the history of the LGBTQ movements in Scandinavia and Europe and the cultural, social, political and activist aspects of LGBTQ life in modern Scandinavian societies. You look critically at the evolution and epistemology of queer theory and develop a vocabulary that deconstructs notions of normality in all its forms, but with a focus on gendered and sexual norms.
- Credits: 3
- Week-Long Study Tour: Berlin
- Core Course Week: A three-day study tour in Southern Sweden alongside a two-day seminar in Copenhagen.
BUILD YOUR OWN CURRICULUM
DIS has over 190 elective courses for you to build your curriculum from after choosing your required core course. You have to opportunity to focus on your major or diversify by selecting any combination of courses based on your needs. Click here for electives related to gender studies, human rights, and more.