In this program you will visit key European political institutions and meet political actors from lobbyists to diplomats, in a hands-on examination of how Europe functions as a whole and from region to region.
- Learn from an expert in the field of Danish and European politics, as you explore topics with your core course professor
- Travel with your classmates and DIS faculty on course-integrated study tours to delve into the political issues related to contemporary European borders and how they are handled in the heart of European political decision making
- Play the part of a European diplomat in a simulation exercise, culminating in a negotiation game at the end of the semester
- Go beyond the classroom on field studies in Copenhagen that explore governmental systems behind the scenes, such as the Danish Foreign Ministry, the European Affairs Committee, Copenhagen Police Headquarters, and the U.S. Embassy
PROGRAM STUDENT PROFILE
This program is right for you if your major is political science, international relations, government, and/or you are fascinated by the interplay between nation-states and the various group identities that define Europe and the contemporary world.
CORE COURSE OVERVIEW
>> European Game of Politics, The: Crisis and Survival
You will gain a deeper understanding of the political and institutional fabric of the EU, including historical development, governing institutions, political processes, and major policies and approach to the present crisis - “How to play the game”.
- Credits: 3
- Prerequisite: Two courses in political science, including one in international relations or comparative politics, at university level.
- Week-Long Study Tour: Brussels-The Hague
- Core Course Week: A three-day study tour in Southern Denmark-Northern Germany alongside a two-day seminar in Copenhagen.
BUILD YOUR OWN CURRICULUM
DIS has over 190 elective courses for you to build your curriculum from after choosing your required core course. You have to opportunity to focus on your major or diversify by selecting any combination of courses based on your needs. Click here for electives related to political sience, international relations, and more.