Whether your interest lies in intercultural communication or public relations, the Communication program (formerly called the Communication & Media program) is designed to develop your international communication skills, help you gain an understanding of current industry trends, and teach you to collaborate with people from other cultures.
You will apply classroom theory in a hands-on, engaging manner in Denmark and Europe through projects, field studies, and study tours.
- Choose between two core course tracks, one with a strong public relations focus, Strategic Communication, and another with an emphasis on cross-cultural and international communication, Cross-Cultural Communication
- Travel with your classmates and DIS faculty on course-integrated short study tours to Denmark or Sweden as part of a specialized core course week, and either London or Belfast where you will come face-to-face with current trends and experts in media specific to the core course’s focus
- Benefit from Copenhagen as your case study through field studies around the city and guest lectures by leaders in international communication, Danish media, and public relations
PROGRAM STUDENT PROFILE
This diverse program offers you two targeted core courses – Strategic Communication is right for you if you are a communications, marketing, or public relations major; whereas Cross-Cultural Communication is right for you if your background is in communication, cultural studies, English, journalism, or videography.
CORE COURSE OVERVIEWS
>> Cross-Cultural Communication (Course begins Spring 2013)
How do we communicate and collaborate in an increasingly global age? In this course you will explore theories of communication across cultural divides while putting it into practice during field studies, workshops, and real-time video conference collaboration.
- Credits: 3
- Week-Long Study Tour:Belfast
- Core Course Week: A three-day study tour in Sweden alongside a two-day seminar in Copenhagen.
>> Strategic Communication
You will learn to examine communication trends in the European public relations landscape. You will make comparative case studies and meet experts in Denmark and the UK to gain first-hand knowledge of how professionals work in a European context.
- Credits: 3
- Week-Long Study Tour:London
- Core Course Week: A three-day study tour in Western Denmark alongside a two-day seminar in Copenhagen.
BUILD YOUR OWN CURRICULUM
DIS has over 160 elective courses for you to build your curriculum from after choosing your required core course. You have to opportunity to focus on your major or diversify by selecting any combination of core courses based on your needs. Click here for electives related to Communication, Journalism, Film Studies, Media Studies, and Advertising.