This program is designed to give you insight into biotechnology-based methods for disease treatment and an understanding of the dynamics of drug discovery and development. You will get an interdisciplinary perspective on how biotech research and business work together.
- Gain insight into world-leading biotechnology research, development, and academia on faculty-led study tours
- Get hands-on experience through the Science & Communication Project by interviewing and researching a Scandinavian biomedical company about their products and labs, which concludes with the writing of an article for Wikipedia
- Learn about the biology behind new-generation biopharmaceuticals from leaders in the discipline through field studies to companies and research institutions
PROGRAM STUDENT PROFILE
The program is right for you if you study biology, biochemistry, health science, or a similar discipline, and wish to acquire skills for a future career or graduate degree in the health professions or scientific research.
CORE COURSE OVERVIEW
>> Medical Biotechnology and Drug Development
You will explore biotech opportunities and challenges within medicine, including side effects, antibodies, vaccines, stem cells, and the impact of genomics on drug discovery. The course will present you with case studies that highlight the Danish and European pharmaceutical and biotech research community.
- Credits: 3
- Prerequisites: One year of biology and one year of chemistry at university level.
- Week-Long Study Tour: Edinburgh (fall) or London (spring)
- Core Course Week: A three-day study tour in Western Denmark alongside a two-day seminar in Copenhagen.
BUILD YOUR OWN CURRICULUM
DIS has over 190 elective courses for you to build your curriculum from after choosing your required core course. You have to opportunity to focus on your major or diversify by selecting any combination of courses based on your needs. Click here for electives related to biology, biomedicine/biotechnology, pre-medicine/health science, and public health.