About DIS Study Abroad at DIS – An Introduction
Study Abroad As It Should Be
Study Abroad at DIS and enhance your major, broaden your horizons, and acquire valuable cross-cultural skills and experiences with other motivated, curious and energetic students from selective U.S. colleges and universities. Learn and experience Europe through forward-thinking academic study abroad programs and courses, integrated study tours across Europe, unique accommodation options and an extensive cultural immersion program.
DIS – Danish Institute for Study Abroad is a government-recognized, high-quality study abroad program established in 1959. All DIS courses and academic programs are intellectually stimulating and challenging – and are all taught in English. But at DIS, study abroad is not solely about academics, it is about providing a one-of-a-kind opportunity for students to experience new situations and build and develop leadership skills for a globalized world. That is why DIS is dedicated to providing the complete study abroad experience.
Academically Challenging Study Abroad Courses Taught in English
- Build your own study abroad curriculum from over 160 courses taught across a great spectrum of majors, but each from a European, Scandinavian or Danish viewpoint
- Study in a high-impact learning environment: Interactive classrooms that combine expert faculty, guest lectures and field studies to create an intense learning experience that will both challenge and inspire
- Focus on the major questions and burning issues of our time
- Benefit from straight-forward credit transfer from DIS to your home university.
Cross-Cultural Leadership Skills for the Global Job Market
- Develop skills that meet the challenges of a globalized world and an international job market, so you are equipped for employers' expectations of cross-cultural understanding
- Learn through cultural immersion and build strong interactive skills as your thoughts and ideas cross international borders
- Increase your decision making skills through an expanded awareness of diverse viewpoints, differing working methods and local idiosyncrasies.
Europe as your Study Abroad Classroom
- Do it all - why choose to study or travel when you can have the best of both worlds?
- Be inspired by credit-bearing, faculty-led, course-integrated study tours that take you to amazing, academically inspirational destinations across Europe, Russia, and perhaps even to Greenland
- Discover even more of Europe through field trips, adventure tours and day trips, all organized through DIS.
Experience through Cultural Immersion
- Live the local culture through voluntary involvement in a range of social, sporting, religious and cultural programs
- Sign up to join organizations and clubs at the ‘Immerse Yourself Fair’, where local groups, clubs and societies offer you the chance to join and take part in their activities
- Maximize your study abroad experience by meeting and socializing with Danes your own age and interacting with the local culture.
Living Like a Local – Unique Housing Options
- Choose to live with a host family and get the opportunity to really integrate into Danish daily life and build what are often lifelong friendships!
- Live with a Danish roommate, who can be your local tour guide, Danish tutor and friend
- Have a unique experience by staying at a Folkehøjskole – a great cultural tradition that many young Danes enjoy
- Live like a local student in a residence hall (kollegium) and become more independent and self-reliant.